Saturday, February 18, 2012

Garden Planting - Part Deux


Hello from Sunny Florida! Mark and I sweltered in the warm, humid weather as we planted a new garden this afternoon. It's hard to believe that all the tender seedlings I planted a week and a half ago froze during two overnight freezes (27 and 31F). Here comes summer!

With no time to worry with sprouting seeds like I did before, Mark and I went to Lowes, Home Depot and Halls Feed and Seed for our new plants. I wanted to replace with the same plants. Here's what we ended up with:
  • Tomatoes: one each of Husky Cherry Red and Early Girl. Mark added a Bonnie Grape and another I'll list later in the "did not fit" category.
  • Lettuce: Red Sails (9), Romaine (4) and Mark added Arugula (9).
  • Greens: Collards (9) and Mark insisted on Mustards (4) and swears he will now be a collard and mustard green eater. Okay! Neither of us meant to pick up, but somehow we ended up with Cabbage plants (4).
  • OtherVeggies: Broccoli (8) - which survived the cold, Tender Bush String Beans (9), and because Mark is so inspired with farming, we have Brussels Sprouts (5). Mark also needed Crock Neck Yellow Squash (10) real bad. There's also a donor herb...Thyme I think.
    Things we had to bring home to "front porch" garden: Cilantro (1), Sweet Basil (1), Sweet Million Tomatoes-teenies (4) and Beefmaster Tomatoes-mongo (6). In addition to those, we have my datil peppers (8) each in a five-gallon bucket.. We brought home 20 gallons of soil, and I hope we have enough containers for all of those new plants.

    So if our heartfelt prayers are heard, all of these little plants in garden plot #25 will thrive and be bountiful.


No comments: