Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Thursday, February 11, 2010
My sister wrote a haiku in honor of her upcoming Valentine's Day wedding, which she entered in a contest to win a stay at a nice hotel. What a nice gift it would be if she won! Sign in and vote every hour all day today. Since there are only 26 entries, she has a cupid's arrow of a chance, as I think her poem is the best!
Hers is the top poem in the middle row, When Redbud Tree blooms
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER, SIGN IN THROUGH EMAIL FOR YOUR FIRST TIME, THEN VOTE EVERY HOUR Contest ends Friday at 12PM EST.
Monday, February 8, 2010
- B - oatmeal, blueberries, milk
- L- tuna salad over lettuce
- D - Bell pepper and onion, Italian sausage, Stewed tomatoes, Yellow rice
- B- Cherrios, milk, blueberries
- L- peanut butter on celery, apple
- D - Heart attack chicken w/pimentos on Ziti, Beets, Salad, Key lime pie
- B- Banana blueberry yogurt shake, granola bar
- L- Tuna sandwich, chips
- D-Hamburger patties, Oven fries w/EVOO & rosemary, Frozen green beans
- B- yogurt, blueberries, toast
- L- turkey/cheese sandwich, apple
- D-Chicken thighs and rice "pileau", Roma vegetables, Spinach
- B- bagel, peanut butter, orange
- L- leftovers
- D-Meatloaf , ziti mac n cheese, Brocolli, Carrots and dip
- B-Eggs, sausage,hash browns toast
- L-turkey wraps, celery/carrots
- D- Date night, EAT OUT!
- B- EAT OUT
- L- tuna salad sandwiches, a fruit or raw veg
- D-Spaghetti w/sweet Italian sausage, Salad, Garlic bread, Chocolate cake
Saturday, February 6, 2010
A little history lesson: In 1767, Ignacio de Ortega with his wife and young son Lorenzo (my ancestors), left their home of Majorca, Spain as part of the largest colonial group (1403 Spanish and Greeks in 8 small ships) to ever cross the Atlantic. They arrived in "Les Mosquites" now New Smyrna, Florida as indentured servants to the cruel Dr. AndrewTurnbull to clear the land, dig irrigation canals, and grow and process indigo, which at that time was more valuable than gold. Horribly mistreated, half of the group died in the first year. When the time came for Turnbull to settle the terms of the indenture with promised farmland, he instead beat and terrorized them into agreeing to longer tenures. In 1777 my ancestors, and most of the remaining settlement, slipped away by foot in a long and dangerous journey to then British occupied St. Augustine. A walk through the old cemetaries reveal many headstones with the names de Ortega and the family they married into, Mickler (MIKE-ler). My mother is a Mickler and many of our family members still live in and near St. Augustine.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Here is the official proclamation of today's event.