Monday, September 8, 2008

My Mother

My mother has been very sick with a lung infection, heart arhythmia, high blood pressure, and extreme weight loss (and she's already thin) from the lung medications, and so I went to my hometown of Jacksonville to spend time taking care of her in the hospital all last week, from Friday to Friday. I stayed at night, my sister Patty stayed during days. On the last day our sister Kat came in town from the Pensacola area and has been a great help. Saturday my dog had several grand mal seizures and I hurried home Sunday to say my last goodbyes to her. What a surprise to find my little dog smiling at me and her little stump-tail wagging! She was very groggy, but recovering. Today is Monday and she is nearly normal...a little senile acting, and her muscle tone is flabby. I took her to the doctor to see what could be done. Kelsey now will take medication twice a day, phenobarbitol. It is a barbituate and makes her seem sleepy, but she will not die from too many seizures! At 1:30 I will leave with my dog and drive back to Jacksonville to continue taking care of my mother and father in their home. Next weekend I will go home for a week, then I will go back for another week. Hopefully by then my mother will have strength to take care of herself.

No comments: