Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 8 Parents Feeding Chicks

Both Canary parents are feeding the chicks pretty regularly now.  The chicks have become much more demanding for food and it's all the mother can do to keep up, so she allows the male to help out.  And because the chicks are eating more, my twice-daily feedings have become more plentiful.  Besides a food cup of sprouted seed and quinoa (cooked like rice), the breakfast platter on the cage floor this morning includes a piece of raw corn on the cob (her fav), cottage cheese (his fav), boiled egg, romaine lettuce, a blob of the cooked seed, and a sliver of apple.  I think they're glad I'm an early riser, because they attack that plate as soon as it's in the cage!  The corner of the cage with the nest is dark and the chicks continue sleeping until the parents arrive with full gullets, ready to share.

1 comment:

Eulalia Benejam Cobb said...

I loved the video. So dramatic! I wish somebody would bring me a plate of all my favorite foods in the morning.