Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mark's Birthday

Yesterday was Mark's 53rd birthday, a beautiful 90 degree day, not very much like fall at all.  Mark wanted me to join him for breakfast at Bubbalou's BBQ, justifying his huge sausage and chees-laden omelette with the quick morning walk he took.  I am not wild about eggs (especially restaurant cooked eggs), and had a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich on wheat toast and a glass of water.  I got the mayonaisse on the side so I could control the amount they slathered on my toast.  I'm not on a diet, but I don't want to be any fatter.  I should be on a diet!  We got home and looked at the many yard sales, as our neighborhood was hosting the semi-annual event.  Having just returned from NC and spending a catch-up week working, the date was once again inconvenient for us.  I'm glad.  I don't like doing garage sales!
        We went to the big hardware store and Mark got a new  weedeater gas string trimmer.  We looked at Christmas decorations in the store, and were happy to not want/need anything, but it sure was pretty.  Next, we went to the mall, specifically JC Penney's, where they have a tall man department.  Momma and daddy sent Mark a check, and he bought a new belt (it's an annual birthday purchase) and two shirts.  Finally, we swung into Costco for some groceries.  $75 later, we went home with meat, fruit, vegetables, and a pumpkin cheese cake for Mark's birthday.  I am glad we have enough groceries on the shelf to sustain the minimal purchase we made, but I still need cream cheese.  Sure, Costco sells that, but who wants a wholesale club-sized vat of cream cheese when you just need an 8-ounce block?
        Last night our sons Robert and David, girlfriend Audrey, and Mark's good friend Kevin and his wife joined us for dinner at Olive Garden for dinner.  I had shrimp mezzalunas, the first thing you see in that link.  Yummy.  The kids left and Kevin, Marisa, Mark, and I went to Congo River Golf to play miniature golf and feed the alligators.  It was so fun.  Guess who won?  Yep, me.  I was so much fun, but the most interesting of all was feeding the alligators.  You get a little wooden fishing pole with a thick string and a plastic point on the end, which a slice of a hot dog is pierced on.  Oh the gators come alive when they see that!  Don't get excited, they were all small; about 2 to 3 feet long. When we got home, we all had a slice of birthday cheesecake and reminisced a nice day.

1 comment:

Rev Hans Myors said...

Mark,

Belated Happy Birthday wishes from your cycling minister friend in Georgia.